Saturday, February 16, 2013

Inspiration: Never cease learning

Life is all about the simple things. The simple things make the greatest impact. I used to tutor a lot of kids in the Los Angeles area. I stopped because I'm pursing different endeavors. Although I stopped tutoring for the company I still do volunteer and tutor and mentor some of my former students. I showed up for an appointment this morning with a student at the library. As soon as I sat down there was an older Korean man sitting next to our table. He walked up to us and stood there for a few seconds before he spoke. He said, "My name is Kym. I am 80 years old and I am learning english. I am in school and I have homework. Could you help me?" I stared at him for a second because I didn't want to cut into my tutoring session but I didn't have the heart to say I couldn't help. Ssoooo I looked at my student to make sure it was cool and she smiled and gave me the green light so I said, "sure". He immediately grabbed his work and brought over his 70 sentences he needed corrected. We went over everything and he was extremely focused. He asked questions and was such a student, even at 80 years of age he was open and willing to listen. I was impressed and it reminded me to always stay hungry, grow and improve. The best part of all this was when before he left he asked me to write my name on a post it. He asked that I write my name so that he could pray for me. I sat there and smiled because faith and religion is important to me. Him telling me that he would pray for me was touching because he was filled with so much love and sincerity. The best thing was that unknowingly my student took a picture of Kym and myself. I love the picture because it shows his dedication to still grow in life even after 80 years. Kym is a great soul and I always want to be like Kym, a student.

No comments:

Post a Comment