Monday, May 27, 2013

In the presence of greatness...Mr. Pharaoh Sanders

I used to tutor this 3rd grade student and I would always talk and make arrangements with her mother, never dealt with the father. I would occasionally see her father walking around the house but would rarely speak to him. One day I arrived early for a session and I knocked on the door but nobody answered. I realized that someone was playing jazz music really loud on the stereo (so I thought). I continued to knock and then the playing stopped and my students father came to the door. He welcomed me pleasantly and asked me to come in and wait until the student arrived. I was lead to the living room to have a seat when I made the comment, "I heard you were playing jazz on your stereo. Do you like jazz?". Mr. Sanders (sorry, the last name of my student was Sanders) responded by saying, "That wasn't the stereo, I was playing. You like jazz?" I responded by saying, "yup, I try and listen to it when I can." As I uttered my words I looked at him and then all of a sudden looked around my surroundings. I realized there was a saxophone, piano and some jazz memorabilia around. I then looked up and saw a picture in a frame with Mr. Sanders on it but it had a first name to it, 'Pharaoh Sanders'. I immediately has a spaz out moment and realized I was in front of Pharaoh Sanders, a jazz legend! Pharaoh played with John Coltrain and got his start with him. Of course the whole time Pharaoh smiled and looked at me as I was piecing everything together. This whole time I was in the presence of jazz history. Well, after I discovered who Pharaoh was I tried talking to him as much as possible. He was such a nice and humble man and I would always try and milk him for information. Well, if you haven't heard of any his music before then take a listen. Sometimes we may not realize we are in the presence of such rich history.

No comments:

Post a Comment